On Thursday 18th June 2015, Future Foundations delivered a Higher Education ‘Bright Futures’ Day at Newnham College, Cambridge. The programme was delivered to 65 Year 8 students from Wembley High Technology College and for most it was their very first introduction to University!
This exciting and impactful one day programme was designed to raise awareness of Higher Education, develop leadership skills and increase confidence, teamwork and personal aspirations.
The programme was Course Directed by Simone Vincenzi and our Future Foundations coaches were Andy Dunn, Amrit Kaur Lohia, Shane Seymour Franklin and Catherine Tilt, supported by Bud Aitken as Operations Director.
- Enable students to discover what they can study at university, tuition style and student lifestyle.
- Encourage students to take personal responsibility for their futures; to be proactive in their approach to their studies and the future benefits of doing so.
- Help the students to understand what it means to be a leader
- Communicate the importance of leadership and the future leadership needs for society
- Foster the belief that with gifts/talents come a responsibility to use them for the better of others
- Open students’ minds to goal setting and equip them with time management skills
Newnham College, Cambridge
The programme was hosted at Newnham College, an inspiring Higher Education venue set in beautiful grounds. The College was established in 1871 as one of the first women’s colleges and is still a women’s college, and the only undergraduate college with an all-women Fellowship.
Newnham is one of the 31 colleges of the University of Cambridge and during term time is home to 370 undergraduates, 285 graduate/postgraduate students, and about 70 academic staff.
“This was an incredible group of students who came away from their day with Future Foundations having learned…
- It is never to early for thinking about higher education.
- If you don’t know what to do next, it is not the end of the world, go and follow your passion, then evaluate.
- In life you can refuse opportunities because of fear, or you can give it a go even if you are afraid. Following the latter will catapult you on top of the ladder.
- Do what you love and become the best at it.”
– Simone Vincenzi, Course Director
x 100000 starsStudent, Wembley High Technology College
My experience has been very adventurous and quite tiring...but most of all inspirational.Student, Wembley High Technology College
A very well organised and enthusiastic team. Everything was taken care of, and the team and coaches were excellent, really getting the pupils motivated and bringing the shier ones out of their shells.Alice McFarlane, Head of Year 8, Wembley High Technical College 2014
This has been a once in a life time chance!Student, Wembley High Technology College
It was inspiring and I loved it. It has definitely motivated me for the future.Student, Wembley High Technology College
It helped me become more confidentStudent, Wembley High Technology College
Students would recommend Future Foundations to their friends
Students feel more confident than they did at the beginning of the programme
Students feel inspired to achieve their full potential
Students rated the programme 4 - 5 out of 5