We are excited to announce that registration is now open for 2019/2020. Please apply by clicking the button above.
Once we have received your application, you will receive an email with next steps.
Please note that places are limited so apply as soon as you can to ensure your school is considered.
We are inviting schools to identify a teacher who will lead on this programme in school.
The deadline for applications is 31st May 2019.
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE?
We want as many students to get involved as possible, not just those who may already have an affinity to technology.
While this programme is aimed at girls, we welcome boys as well. We’re keen for everyone to be aware of the opportunities in the technology industry, to challenge the gender stereotype within the industry, and to consider a career in tech.
The programme is for year 8 students in the 2019-2020 academic year.
Phase 1: Whole year assembly – June – September 2019
If your application is successful you will then hold an assembly in your school to launch the programme to your students. This will be delivered by an inspiring female AWS ambassador who will then stay with your school throughout the programme.
PLEASE NOTE if you host your assembly in June or July the assembly will be delivered to your year 7s going into year 8. If it is in September it will be to the new year 8s.
Phase 2: App idea generation – June – September 2019
- After your assembly presentations, let us know how many teams you would like to enter into the programme and download the AWS Get IT Challenge Pack.
- Teams must be 50% girls to qualify. They can be 3-7 students. You can register up to 7 teams of 7 students, but please note 7 students will be invited to the bootcamps. So this could be a team of 7 or a representative from 7 teams.
- Start independently designing your app – remember, it must be focused on tackling/solving real local issues.
Phase 3: Bootcamp –October/November 2019
Participating student teams are invited to a Get IT one day bootcamp. Each school is allocated 7 student places and two teacher places.
If a school does not take up their places, these will allocated on a first come first served basis.
2019 London bootcamp dates:
• Tuesday 8th October
• Thursday 10th October
• Wednesday 16th October
• Tuesday 19th November
2019 Cambridge bootcamp date:
• Thursday the 7th November
MANCHESTER BOOTCAMP DATE TBC
Phase 4: School-based workshop – January – February 2020
- Receive an in-school visit from your AWS ambassador.
- They will give you feedback on your student’s projects.
- This is a chance for students to practice their presentations.
Phase 5: Submit your app into our competition – Deadline March 2020
Use our online form to submit your final app idea. We will let you know if you have been shortlisted for the final within 2 weeks. 10 projects will go through to the final.
If you go through to the final, you will present your idea at the AWS Summit.
Phase 6: Presentation at AWS Summit – April 29th 2020
- 10 Selected teams are invited to present their apps at the AWS Summit in London.
- All participating schools are invited to send 7 students and 2 teachers to the Summit.
- All participants will receive a programme certificate.
- THE WINNER WILL BE ANNOUNCED AT THE SUMMIT!
Prizes & Recognition
- All teams that attend the bootcamp will receive an AWS goodie bag
- All participating schools will be invited to select students to attend the AWS Summit at the Excel Centre on April 29th 2020.
- 10 finalist teams will be invited to present their ideas at the AWS Summit
- The winning team will have their app made be AWS
- AWS will then support the continuation and success of the winning app
- All participants will receive a certificate confirming the completion of the programme