Phase 1: Whole year assembly – June – September 2019
If your application is successful you will then hold an assembly in your school to launch the programme to your students. This will be delivered by an inspiring female AWS ambassador who will then stay with your school throughout the programme.
For 2019/20 academic terms remaining assemblies for year 8’s will be arranged for September 2019.
Phase 2: App idea generation – June – September 2019
- After your assembly presentations, let us know how many teams you would like to enter into the programme and download the AWS GetIT Challenge Pack.
- Teams must be 50% girls to qualify. They can be 3-7 students. Each school can enter two teams into the final competition.
- Start independently designing your app – remember, it must be focused on tackling/solving real local issues.
Phase 3: Bootcamp –October/November 2019
Participating student teams are invited to a GetIT one day bootcamp. Each school is allocated 7 student places and two teacher places.
If a school does not take up their places, these will allocated on a first come first served basis.
2019 London bootcamp dates:
• Tuesday 8th October
• Thursday 10th October
• Wednesday 16th October
• Tuesday 19th November
2019 Manchester bootcamp date:
• Wednesday 6th November
2019 Cambridge bootcamp date:
• Thursday 7th November
Phase 4: School-based workshop – January – February 2020
- Receive an in-school visit from your AWS ambassador.
- They will give you feedback on your student’s projects.
- This is a chance for students to practice their presentations.
- Submit a blog post about your App or experience! Visit the following link to find out more.Please ensure you have permission from your school prior to submitting.
Phase 5: Submit your app into our competition – Deadline March 2020
Use our online form to submit your final app idea. We will let you know if you have been shortlisted for the final within 2 weeks. 10 projects will go through to the final.
If you go through to the final, you will present your idea at the AWS Summit.
All participating teams who are not submitting their project to the
final competition, will need to submit a summary of their app idea and
the names of their team members. An online form will be live soon….
Phase 6: Presentation at AWS Summit – April 29th 2020
- 10 Selected teams are invited to present their apps at the AWS Summit in London.
- 14 runner up teams will also be invited to join us at the AWS Summit in London.
- All participants will receive a programme certificate.
- THE WINNER WILL BE ANNOUNCED AT THE SUMMIT!
Prizes & Recognition
- All teams that attend the bootcamp will receive an AWS goodie bag.
- 10 finalist teams will be invited to present their ideas at the AWS Summit.
- We are launching a ‘Teacher of the Year award’ at the beginning of 2020. Students or AWS ambassadors will be able to nominate their teachers to recognise their commitment to and support of the AWS GetIT project.
- The winning team will have their app brought to life be AWS.
- AWS will then support the continuation and success of the winning app.
- All participants will receive a certificate confirming the completion of the programme.